Job descriptionWest Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), a part of the WVU System of campuses located in Beckley, WV, is seeking applications for the position of Student Services Associate. This position will be responsible for providing direct service to new and returning students, staff, and faculty, including accurately entering and maintaining incoming University revenues in system databases.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Provide guidance related to financial aid, loans, scholarships, student employment, billing and accounts, housing and rent, registration, and student health insurance. Primary contact mode is via telephone and will also include walk in and email service.
- Provide information and counsel in order to resolve majority of inquiries and refer when needed to other staff or internal departments across campus.
- Use professional judgement at all times, ensuring a professional demeanor at all times in an at-time emotional, demanding and high-volume environment.
- Understand, interpret and apply WVU policies and procedures as well as federal and state regulations, in order to provide guidance properly to students, parents, and other constituencies. A thorough knowledge of policy, procedures and systems for Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid, Billing, Housing and University Apartments, Extended Learning and other student operations is required.
- Counsel WVU students and other constituencies in understanding financial aid/account records, providing advice on payment options and arrangements. Process payments, ensuring that all transactions are accurately posted, balanced, and kept confidential and properly secured. Assisting with maintenance of cashiering functions, safe logs, and supporting documentation.
- Receive and review confidential documents regarding financial aid, student records, employment, and accounts. Verify proper completion and accuracy of forms.
- View and analyze Federal, State, and Institutional websites to assure student eligibility for aid.
- Receive incoming correspondence and correctly log for response. Prepare outgoing correspondence and communications which may include letters, forms, email, etc.
- Perform basic duties including ordering supplies and equipment, maintaining files, distribution logs, and processing mail.
- Prepare miscellaneous receipt (MR) forms and enter into MAP with the accurate funding codes for the applicable university department.
- Ensure University Funds Handling and Payment Card Industry (PCI) policies and procedures are upheld.
- Assist with collecting year-end financial reports as it relates to deferred revenue and accounts receivable.
- Assist with tax collection reconciliations as it relates to sales, occupancy and local tax.
Work Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Length of Assignment: 12 months
Pay Grade: 12
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Computer experience using programs such as Word, Excel and databases. One (1) year.
- Administrative work. One (1) year.
- Customer service experience. One (1) year.
- Counseling/advising experience is preferred.
- Experience working with large relational database systems such as Banner is preferred.
- Experience working in a student services area providing information on academic and/or financial policies and/or assisting students, faculty and staff is preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills. Must always be able to exhibit professionalism and a calm demeanor
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Must always be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to understand, follow and apply complex instructions.
- Must be able to use a personal computer including programs such as Word and Excel.
- Must be able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, student-centered, sometimes demanding environment.
- Valid Driver's License.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position. Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb. To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
: May 17, 2022