Job descriptionNow taking off: Your career
Where do you want your career to take you? Chances are you can get there with United Airlines. Our environment is open, honest, and focused on our customers—and your success. So choose a career path. And rediscover what it's like to enjoy your job. Staff Engineer - Flight Simulation Engineering Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of United's policies.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Description - External
We have a wide variety of career opportunities around the world — come find yours.
Staff Engineer, Flight Simulation
The Staff Engineer will perform daily work assignments in accordance with UAL’s FAA approved SQMS program within the regulatory framework of 14 CFR Part 60 which governs flight simulators.
This is a represented position governed in accordance with the UA/IBT Technicians Agreement. The department operates 24/7/365 and the Staff Engineers have a set weekly work schedule, but may be REQUIRED to adjust their shift start times and duty days to accomplish their assigned work and may be requested to return to work during off-duty hours for unplanned simulator outages.
- Design, development and modify computer software utilizing various programming languages.
- Installation and checkout of new aircraft avionics and software simulated aircraft systems based on aircraft changes.
- Develop concepts and techniques for use in upgrading or maintaining flight simulators
- Develop alternate hardware solutions for obsolete component
- Create and or modify technical documents related to flight simulators, computers, electronics and flight simulation technology such as electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, and other commonly used documentation.
- Technical interface with aircraft engineering, aircraft component manufacturers, flight simulator OEMs and flight simulator sub system manufacturers
- Perform various software updates including loading aircraft common databases, aircrew Lesson Plans, Instructor Operating Station (IOS) pages and controls and simulated aircraft malfunctions.
- Provide technical expertise during subjective and objective evaluations of flight simulators by the FAA.
- Troubleshooting and resolving non- routine simulator operational discrepancies while working with Flight Simulator Technicians.
- Usage of various types of diagnostic test and measurement equipment.
- Participate in various department meetings providing technical and aircraft specific operational information relative to discrepancies and projects.
Qualifications - External
- 2 – year degree or higher in a related field and five years of Flight Simulator Technician experience or 5 years as a Simulator Engineer at a 121 or 142 operator or 4 year B.S. degree in a related field
- Hands on experience or training in programming languages
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours in a 24/7 day a week operation including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Successful track record of working independently as well as part of a team
- Computer knowledgeable
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable and punctual attendance is an essential function of the position
- Understanding of computer simulation programming techniques, electronic and network theory.
- Knowledge of aircraft avionics systems, navigation systems, principles of aerodynamics and performance and handling characteristics of aircraft.
- An understanding of Hardware and Software Integration (HSI) techniques.
- Knowledge of FAA regulation 14 CFR Part 60 that governs Flight Simulators.
- Good organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills
Starting hourly rate is $41.33 an hour (subject to collective bargaining agreement)
Bonus eligible: yes
At United, we offer a competitive compensation package, with benefits including: medical, dental, vision, life, accident and disability, employee assistance program, commuter, paid holidays, paid time off, 401(k) plan with employee and company contribution opportunities, pension, and flight privileges. Benefits are subject to a collective bargaining agreement.
Salary and benefits information is being included in this job posting in accordance with Colorado state law.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT