Job descriptionPosition Summary
The Mediation Program Assistant assists the Director in coordination of the Mediation Program, which provides mediation services to the citizens of Charles County and various referral partners. The program offers mediation, facilitation, conflict workshops, parenting plan and re-entry mediation services. Duties related to the various programs include coordinating volunteer mediators, scheduling mediation sessions and conducting mediations. The Assistant responds to telephone inquiries, e-mails; and performs intakes for citizens who wish to utilize mediations. Employee must be able to manage, track, and keep accurate statistics. They will assist in preparation of grant reports pertinent to the program. This position is supervised by the Charles County Community Mediation Center Director.
The work schedule for this position is 25 hours per week, Monday through Friday. The hours may vary. Flexibility is required.
College of Southern Maryland conducts background checks in order to ensure the safety and well-being of the College's staff and students. The final candidate for this position will be subject to the following background checks: Criminal History Check and Motor Vehicle Record Check.This position is open until filled. For best consideration, apply by 11:59 pm, EST on Friday, June 10, 2022. The College of Southern Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The College of Southern Maryland values the safety of its students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the College will require offers of employment extended after December 1, 2021 to be contingent on the candidate providing proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. As a new employee, you will be required to comply with this mandate and all the current campus health and safety protocols, including wearing a mask. Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct phone intakes from self-referrals and walk-ins and make pro-active mediation intake calls to District Court ADR and Outreach referrals.
- Coordinate setting up mediations to include volunteer management, site location and participant notifications.
- Follow mediation cases from initial intake calls to conclusion to include coordination of location, times, dates, stats and closing cases.
- Collect data as needed for mediations, MADTrac, MACRO, CMM and Outreach partners. Input data into MadTrac and any other reports as needed.
- Monitor and coordinate site, partnership and outreach follow-up for continued mediation referrals.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED Certificate.
- Effective and creative problem solver that has training as an inclusive mediator or is committed to being trained as a mediator.
- Preference given to applicants with 45 Hour Basic Mediation Training by Community Mediation Maryland (CMM).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses a deep understanding of the power of mediation and conflict resolution to heal relationships, transform communities and solve social problems.
- Excellent oral, active listening, written, presentation, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and client community
- Ability to communicate effectively through oral and written communications
- High ethics, integrity and confidentiality consistent with the position
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office
- Attention to detail and follow-through and ability to juggle multiple projects effectively,
- Ability to work well with people of diverse ages, ethnicities and education levels
- Ability to use good judgment, respect confidentiality, and exercise sensitivity when confronted with conflict,
- Ability to stay focused during time constraints and high emotions of clients.
The work is light work which requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required:
Due to the nature of the position, work hours, or funding, benefits are not offered with this position.