Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position participates in, and often leads, negotiations with Amtrak’s host railroads nationwide to implement new and improved services and other modifications to the business and operating relationships with host railroads. This position formulates negotiating positions and supports them using statutory provisions, knowledge of railroad operations, and quantitative arguments. This position seeks and develops opportunities for strategic cooperation with host railroads. Where state partners are involved, this position helps coordinate among states, host railroads, and Amtrak to ensure that investment and operating agreements comply with FRA or other funding guidelines, are satisfactory to Amtrak, and will deliver new or improved services that meet Amtrak and state partner objectives. This position collaborates with multiple Amtrak departments and functions including Business Lines, Law, Government Affairs, Engineering, Real Estate, and Finance.
- Negotiate agreements with host railroads nationwide for new, improved, and/or modified; (i) train services, (ii) track, signal and station projects, (iii) rate adjustments and (iv) contract terms and conditions or procedures.
- Negotiate agreements with freight railroads operating over Amtrak-owned rail lines.
- Participate as a team member for the Host Railroad Group, supporting grant writing activities and grant payment administration with hosts and state partners.
- Help coordinate negotiations among host railroads, states, and Amtrak for new and improved services and route modifications on host railroads.
- Write contract language and provisions, in consultation with Office of General Counsel.
- Assist in resolving agreement disputes with host railroads.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, resolving emergency Amtrak operational issues with hosts and with freight railroads operating over Amtrak, participating in Amtrak Office of Inspector General audit and other settlements, and assisting in cost analyses of Amtrak train operations on host railroads.
- Familiarity with PC and mainframe computer software and applications, including Microsoft Office suite applications.
- Proven ability to develop, plan, and successfully execute negotiations to achieve objectives while preserving relationships.
- Experience working with or for host railroads.
- Familiarity or experience with host railroad operations and economics.
- Skilled in use of PC and mainframe computer software and applications.
- Experience negotiating, implementing, and interpreting contracts.
- Master’s degree
- Ability to think strategically, and a proven ability to develop, plan and successfully execute negotiations to achieve objectives while preserving both internal and external relationships.
- Strong advocacy skills, including the ability to articulate complex transportation issues and build consensus.
- Ability to read and interpret contracts, apply their provisions uniformly in a variety of circumstances, and resolve disputes.
- Ability to use persuasion and leverage to achieve Amtrak objectives in conjunction with host railroads over which this position has no direct authority, within time and budget constraints.
- Strong business sense.
- Responsive to requests of others to ensure a Host Railroad Group reputation for high-quality service to internal and external Amtrak customers.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities within tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively and supportively in a small group environment
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Transportation; Research & Strategy
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation; Research & Strategy || Corporate Jobs