At Liberty, we hire passionate people who care about doing the right thing for our customers. We are entrepreneurial, creative, and outcome-focused. Here, your natural talent and achievements will flourish in an inclusive environment of teamwork, trust and continuous learning. We are always pursuing excellence to exceed our ambitions goals, rewarding both the goal outcome and how we achieve it.
Reporting to the Sr Vice President of Operations in Oakville, the Regional President will be responsible for the overall strategic leadership and guidance for the operational, financial, social and environmental performance of the East Region. Additionally, the Regional President will be responsible for contributing to achieving the ambitious asset, revenue and earnings growth objectives and associated customer outcomes of the Liberty value proposition as related to the geographic territory encompassing the Liberty “East” region. This territory is comprised of five gas distribution facilities, one electric utility and a newly acquired water utility, located in the states of New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Georgia, and in the province of New Brunswick consisting of a total customer base of approximately 400,000 along with an approximate rate base of $2.4B.
The Regional President will provide organizational leadership to ensure safety, efficiency, quality and cost-effective management of resources for all aspects of the business including operations, customer care, business development, information technology, support services, community affairs and regulatory relationships. The Regional President will be expected to develop and nurture an effective leadership team to support the transformation of the integrated workforce from a traditional utility culture to a customer-centric entrepreneurial employee empowered organization.
- Support the development and lead the implementation of a health and safety culture in the East Region at Liberty that improves the quality of the workplace environment, providing an injury-free workplace and protects public security and safety.
- Assume responsibility for all financial management, including the development of the five-year long-term plan, and reporting obligations including those related to the Liberty – income statement, balance sheet and statement of changes in financial position.
- Participate in the development of overall organizational growth strategy and long-term business plans as a member of the Liberty Utilities Senior Management Team.
- Identify, participate, and integrate strategic growth initiatives including organic growth activities and acquisitions to support overall asset, revenue and earnings-related business objectives of Liberty.
- Continue to build and develop a diverse talent pool and foster an inclusive culture
- Champion Liberty’s culture focused around the purpose, strategic pillars, and guiding principles
- Participate and be a key representative in the net zero and energy transition strategy.
- Present regional goals, objectives, performance and key strategic initiatives to regional board members.
- Establish annual targets and ensure that the annual plans are built for operational and financial success.
- Drive financial and operational achievement of the approved business and local plans through the use of Balanced Scorecards.
- Lead the standardization of the functional process for the region and ensure a common approach is used regardless of location.
- Develop and implement enhanced planning, measurement and analysis capacity across the region (e.g., benchmarks, efficient capital deployment, etc.) which will enable the measurement of utility-specific returns.
- Manage operations in a manner consistent with Liberty’s human resources policies including talent management, succession planning, compensation administration and employee engagement.
- Act as primary spokesperson with respect to Liberty’s local community, governmental and other stakeholder relations. The primary point of contact in the event of emergencies.
- Develop and execute a plan to maintain and improve the relationship with various state regulators including management of the rate case cycles.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary graduate; strong business, financial, legal, technical and operations background -Master of Business Administration would be an asset
- 12 years of experience at the Senior leadership level combined with managing operations and growth initiatives within a regulated utility environment and in customer-facing organizations
- Prior success and expertise in delivering performance while managing targets in profit, safety, environmental performance, community relations
- Proven abilities to build relationships with key stakeholders, including the development of effective stakeholder management strategy
- Demonstrated track record of success in driving financial growth and operation productivity
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels, both within the company and externally
- Ability to originate, reflect upon, articulate and implement strategies and manage through corporate changes
- Able to build a strong sustaining culture and secure high levels of employee engagement with expertise in creating an environment resulting in employee satisfaction, creativity and empowerment
- Experience in corporate-wide “zero tolerance” of industrial accident programs
- A mentor/coach, approachable, listener, decisive, delegator, competitive, entrepreneurial, leader
- Comfortable with reasonable levels of travel within North America
Our purpose is sustaining energy and water for life, and it is demonstrated in everything we do as a business and as an employee team.
We provide safe, secure, reliable, cost-effective and sustainable energy and water solutions. Our mission is how we create value as an organization—it is what drives us every day to fulfill our purpose.
We better the lives of our customers and communities. Our vision is what we see as possible. It's where we aspire to be, what we want to achieve and how we'll make an impact. It guides and keeps us on the right path as we work towards fulfilling our purposes.
Our Guiding Principles
- Owner mindset
- Outcome focused
- Continuous learning
What we offer
Collaborative environment with a genuine flexible working policy
401k Plan with matching
Company funded Pension program
Share purchase/match plan
Leadership Development Program
Volunteer paid days off
Employee Assistance Program
Variety of Health & Wellness programs
Discount and Perks program
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role and are not confident you meet all the qualification requirements, we encourage you to apply to investigate the opportunity further.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person's unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents.
Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.