Job descriptionSummary of Job Duties The approved hiring salary range for this position is $17.80 - $22.25 The full salary range for this position is $17.80 - $27.81
Within the Aurora Police Department there are four separate divisions: Operations; Metro; Compliance and Professional Standards; and Business Services and employees over 800 Civil Service and Career Service employees whose mission is to Make Aurora Safer Every Day.
The Police Report Technician is responsible for incoming phone calls, collecting, storing, and disseminating criminal information and reports to Aurora Police Department personnel and the public with efficiency and strong customer service.
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
Competitive total compensation package
Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
Light rail station minutes away
On-site fitness center and wellness programs
Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
Access to innovation work spaces
- Advises citizens of procedures and laws
- Completes and transcribes a variety of reports
- Refers calls for police service to dispatch when an officer is required
- Interviews crime victims and reviews information on police reports
- Enters and retrieves information via computer aided dispatch (CAD) terminal
- Enters and retrieves information in law enforcement systems and databases
- Approves all online reports
- Document scanning
- Works extensively with Law Enforcement personnel both internally and from other jurisdictions
- Researches and solves report, record and identification problems
- Follows record dissemination laws, policies and procedures
- Operates a variety of office machines
- Maintains, modifies and updates multiple data bases in local, State and National computer systems
- Intake of various property related items from citizens and other law enforcement agencies
- Performs additional duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED. The selected candidate will be required to submit proof, in the form of an official transcript of the highest level of education completed as indicated on their application and/or resume
- One (1) year of office/clerical experience to include data entry, data retrieval and customer service
- NCIC/CCIC Certification is required within 6 months of employment
- Two (2) years of customer service experience
- Experience working in a judicial or law enforcement environment
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
- Proper English and grammar usage both written and verbal
- Law enforcement terminology
- Interviewing techniques and methods
- Personal computers including related software applications
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Prepare accurate reports
- Maintain accurate records
- Work rotating shifts including weekends and holidays
- Skill in alpha and numeric data entry to pass a data entry test of a minimum of 5,000 net strokes per hour
Occasional Standing/Walking- Occurs up to 31 minutes to 2.5 hours per shift
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Sedentary physical work that involves moving no more than 10 pounds at a time
- Occasional lifting and carrying
- Hand/eye coordination to operate computer keyboard
- Vision to read and interpret reports, documents, and other written information
- Frequent speech communication
- Hearing and listening to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Memory to retain updated processes, complete tasks that are important but infrequent and highly technical tasks.
- Critical thinking to navigate technical tasks
- Use resources when unsure and Lead or Supervisor is not available
- Judgment to ensure confidential information remains protected
- Essential duties performed primarily in clean, comfortable environment with shared work stations and equipment
- Nature of tasks exposes staff to possible vicarious trauma due to the nature of some crimes and the need to review of reports and digital evidence during intake release procedures
- Shift work to include days, nights, working weekends and holidays
- Frequently uses computer keyboard and telephone, fax machines, copiers and other office equipment
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Intrested in this job?
Lowongan Kerja Sejenis
Gateways To Change Inc. Cranston, RI 02910 Today
TWIN OAKS ASSISTED LIVING AND MEMORY CARE Salt Lake City, UT Today