CLASSIFICATION TITLE: Groundsworker
UNION CODE: R05
PAY PLAN: 12-month
ANTICIPATED HIRING RANGE: $3,155 - $3,400
- However, offer amount will be commensurate with candidate’s experience, education, skills, and training.
CSU CLASSIFICATION SALARY RANGE: $3,155 - $4,950
PAY BASIS: Monthly
BENEFITS: CSUB offers a best-in-class benefit package for eligible employees that includes an array of medical plans, choice of dental plans, vision coverage, retirement participation in CalPERS, CSU tuition waiver, up to 24 vacation days per year, sick leave with unlimited accrual, 14 paid holidays per year and more! See our benefits website for additional information.
CANDIDATES ELIGIBLE TO APPLY: Open to all qualified applicants
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
FOR PRIORITY CONSIDERATION, applications must be received by July 4, 2022; however, the position will remain open until filled.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy [calstate.policystat.com] and questions may be sent to [email protected]
Within the Business and Administrative Services Division, Facilities Management is responsible for creating and maintaining an environment that enables faculty and staff to fulfill the educational mission of California State University, Bakersfield through the continued maintenance of campus facilities and grounds, by providing services in a reasonable and timely manner, and by maintaining a quality oriented organization geared toward the enhancement of the educational environment.
Within the Roads and Grounds Departments within Facilities Management, and under direct supervision, the Groundsworker performs general gardening work and maintains the grounds in an assigned area of a campus.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Landscape Services
- Plant, cultivate, fertilize, water and spray ornamental plants, shrubs, hedges, trees, lawns, and flowers
- Rake leaves
- Hoe weeds
- Prepare and treat soils for planting
- Erect tree supports
- Trim trees
- Equipment Use and Maintenance
- Maintain hoses, sprinklers, tools, supplies and equipment in proper condition and repair;
- Operate and perform minor maintenance on small power-operated pavement sweepers, power mowers, small riding mowers, and other gardening power equipment
- May drive pick-ups and other automotive equipment in performance of assigned duties
- May provide lead work direction to students and unskilled assistants.
- OTHER JOB DUTIES
- Clean trash from assigned areas including parking lots
- May assist in the preparing and lining of athletic fields for events
- May occasionally assist a qualified specialist in sprinkler repair, spraying, tree trimming, or nursery functions
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE – One year of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or in general grounds maintenance work, or in related manual labor.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES (SKA’s) –
- Regular and reliable attendance is required
- Thorough knowledge of general gardening and grounds maintenance methods
- General knowledge of proper methods of planting, cultivating, and caring for hedges, ornamental trees, shrubs, lawns, and flowers, and the use and care of gardening materials, tools, and equipment
- Recognize the more common species of ornamental shrubs, trees and flowers grown in California.
- Perform strenuous physical work
- Utilize mechanical aptitude and motor coordination
- Skillfully operate small trucks and power-driven grounds equipment
- Operate a variety of power and hand tools and light motorized equipment including tractors, power mowers, edgers, and weed eaters
- Read and understand Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Read and write at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Follow simple oral and written instructions
- Demonstrate safe work habits and observe all applicable workers safety practices; including the use of required personal protective equipment
- Meet schedules and timelines
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy to effectively handle and respond appropriately to conflicts and problem.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies and procedures
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- High School Diploma
- Three (3) years of experience in the care and maintenance of landscaped areas or in general grounds maintenance work, or in related manual labor
- Demonstrated skills in an educational/institutional environment
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: HEAVY WORK – 50% or more of the activities involve walking, standing, squatting, kneeling or climbing; lifting heavy weight objects which may exceed 50 pounds. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate grounds equipment and tools, repetitive use of wrist and hands, ability to maintain balance, reach overhead, horizontally and above shoulders, rapid mental/muscular coordination, accurate depth perception, clarity of vision at varying distances to see small details and color vision with ability to distinguish shades is required.
- Is exposed to excessive noise
- Is around moving machinery
- Is exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity
- Is exposed to dust, fumes, gases, or radiation, microwave
- Drives motorized equipment
- Works in high places
SCREENING: Only those applicants possessing experience most directly related to the immediate needs of the office will be invited to appear before a Qualifications Appraisal Board for the purpose of appraising training, experience, and interest in the position.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY EMPLOYEES UNION: It shall be the policy of the CSU in filling vacant CSUEU bargaining Units 2, 5, 7 & 9 positions to fill such vacancies from among qualified individuals currently employed on-campus except when it is determined that it is necessary to appoint outside applicants to meet campus workforce diversity goals or to provide specialized skills and abilities that are not available from current employees.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
SENSITIVE POSITION: Sensitive positions are designated by the CSU as requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position, based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of the people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to the CSU or individuals in the university community.
MANDATED REPORTER: Limited: The person holding this position is considered a limited mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017. (All Advisors are limited).
GENERAL INFORMATION: It is the policy of California State University, Bakersfield to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to present documentation verifying their right to accept employment. You will also be requested to present a social security card at the time of initial appointment in compliance with state payroll regulations. State regulations require that every state employee sign the Oath of Allegiance prior to commencing the duties of his/her State employment, except legally employed non-citizens. These individuals are required to sign the Declaration of Permission to Work.
EEO STATEMENT: California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability or covered veteran status.