Job descriptionWhat You Will Do:
Responsible for timely retrieval and processing of appropriate patient charts from patient care areas. Prepares charts for scanning and indexing. Performs quality review to ensure that all patient records and loose documents are scanned with the highest level of quality possible. Performs activities associated with the completion, registration, and timely filing of death certifications in accordance with state regulations. Acts in the capacity of other non-professional positions within the department when needed.
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Performs chart preparation and scanning functions as outlined in the HIM Prep/Scan Guidelines.
- Reviews images scanned for accuracy after initial scanning. Identifies documents that are of poor quality and rescan as necessary. Ensures that all scanned documents are positioned correctly and adjust those that are not correct.
- Performs indexing process with accuracy by ensuring documents are indexed to the correct patient contact serial number (CSN), and correct document location within the EMR. Assigns each document to the correct document type and verify that bar-coded documents are correctly indexed. Identifies when it is appropriate to split and merge documents. Performs the splits and merges correctly. Appends and inserts pages/documents when and where appropriate, and according to UMMS indexing guidelines.
- Reviews assigned electronic work lists daily and ensures timely processing of all work items on work lists.
- Validate completion and submit death certificates in accordance with state regulations. When needed, facilitate completion of the death certificate by the appropriate physician. Communicate with funeral homes and coordinate the release of remains.
- Perform technical processing tasks to include Release of Information coverage.
- Maintains expected productivity and quality standards. Completes and submits productivity reports on a weekly basis.
- Communicates any issues/concerns to the Team Leader or appropriate up-line timely and with clear detail. Assists in training new staff.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Education : High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Experience : One year performing document imaging in a hospital medical record department. Previous experience in hospital medical record department or similar medical office setting with additional experience in quality analysis or similar position.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.