Position Title: Cook - Full Time
Reports to: Food and Beverage Manager
Location: AMC Highland Center – Bretton Woods, New Hampshire
Schedule: 4:30am-1:00pm or 11:30am-7:30pm (usually mix of both)
Founded in 1876, the Appalachian Mountain Club is the oldest conservation, education and recreation organization in the United States. The AMC promotes the protection, enjoyment, and wise use of the mountains, rivers and trails of the Appalachian region. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies, and procedures.
Position Description Summary:
The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks a qualified and enthusiastic full time Cook for our Highland Center Lodge in the heart of the White Mountain National Forest. This full-time opportunity is responsible for the preparation and delivery of meals - including breakfast, lunch, dinner and supporting the snack bar/deli - where 95% of the food is made from scratch. We strive for happy visitors and guests, and great food is a big part of the equation!
What you’ll be doing:
- Prepare all meals and snacks as scheduled and instructed according to pre-planned menus and established meal times (specifically breakfast and dinner buffets along with bread and dessert)
- Assist the HC Manager in creating appropriate menus for the season, holidays and specialty dinners.
- Welcome and assist outdoor program center visitors and guests in a positive manner; respond to any problems or special requests with a professional demeanor. This includes but is not limited to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack bar/deli guests.
- Clean, sanitize and inspect all areas maintained by the Kitchen Staff on a daily basis and as needed, to exceed New Hampshire Board of Health standards.
- Supervise snack bar/deli during assigned shift with daily upkeep, prep, and service of customers.
- Provide assistance as directed for inventories and ordering of food and supplies on a weekly basis.
- Support and direct Kitchen Staff in the preparation and cleaning duties for breakfast, lunch, and dinner set-ups and breakdowns utilizing on-site guidelines and resources.
- Assist in the preparation, set up and break down of coffee breaks, receptions, or any other special functions and/or events during work shifts.
- Actively participates in recycling programs, composting, the use of green materials and local food programs.
- Actively promote and provide up to date information on the services and programs of the AMC and encourage membership to support the AMC’s public service efforts.
- Plan and attend training and supervisory meetings at HC and other AMC facilities as required.
- Other duties as assigned. This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor.
What we’re looking for:
- Professional experience in preparing diverse, health-conscious meals including foods that incorporate fresh, local and/or organic ingredients in an institutional setting is preferred.
- Exceptional customer service skills and the ability to be a team player within a detail-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with the White Mountain National Forest and enthusiasm for AMC programs and mission is preferred.
- Candidate must be willing to work weekends, holidays, and evenings on a routine basis.
- Physical abilities: Ability to stand, sit, walk for 8 hours at a time and lift up to 60 pounds from waist to head height, or from floor to waist height is required. Job will require working in and around a standard commercial kitchen with only occasional exposure to hazardous cleaning products.
Compensation and benefits:
- Salary Range: $16.00-$17.00/hour
- Group Health Plan: 73.2% employer paid
- Optional Vision Insurance
- Optional Dental Insurance
- Group Life Insurance: 100% employer paid
- Long Term Disability Insurance: 100% employer paid
- Matching 403(b): 4% with vesting schedule
- Vacation: 3 weeks accrued each year to start
- Holidays: Up to 10 paid holidays per year
- Free use of AMC Destinations
- Free annual AMC membership
- Prodeals discounts on equipment and gear
Please include a resume and cover letter. No phone calls please.
AMC welcomes all qualified candidates to apply and we invite the full participation of all individuals currently underrepresented in the outdoor community. This includes, but is not limited to, individuals from racially and/or ethnically diverse communities, individuals with disabilities, individuals from LGBTQ+ communities, and individuals who experience intersectionality with one or more of these identities.
Staff will be required to show proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. The AMC will consider an exemption from the vaccine requirement if they are unable to get vaccinated due to a qualifying medical disability or a sincerely held religious objection. An accommodation or exemption from the vaccine requirement will be considered if one is available that would not pose a direct threat to others in the workplace and would not create an undue hardship for the organization.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons, or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.