Job descriptionCompany Description
About KIPP New Jersey
KIPP New Jersey is part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools dedicated to preparing students for success in college and in life. In 2002, KIPP New Jersey first opened its doors in Newark’s South Ward as a single class of 80 fifth graders and has since grown to educate over 7,738 students in grades K-12 across 15 schools in Newark and Camden. More than 90% of KIPP New Jersey students currently qualify for free or reduced meals.
By 2025, KIPP New Jersey will have fifteen schools in Newark and seven in Camden providing a world-class education to over 11,600 students. To learn more, visit www.kippnj.org.
Here’s what you need to know:
We need you to put our students on a path to college early on in their education.
Working at KIPP New Jersey is about being student-focused. It's about teamwork. It's about having fun and having the freedom to lead in ways that are most successful for your students.
Heads of Schools are responsible for driving student achievement and school health through the development of school leaders at the school sites they manage. Heads of Schools also sit on the regional leadership team and help drive regional decision making to improve student achievement and growth outcomes.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Manage school leaders to drive results: Set school goals with school leader in alignment with regional and CMO goals; use quarterly goal cycles and reflection to manage school performance.
- Develop school leaders: Observe and coach school leaders to develop in the Leading for Learning (LFL) competencies; review data from student achievement and walkthroughs to determine high-leverage action steps; provide professional development (at LFL, in grade-based cohorts, need-based cohorts), and coordinate excellent school visits/other opportunities to develop; conduct or facilitate/review strategic planning with principals.
- Develop leadership bench: Support leadership development, bench depth assessment, and regional talent planning.
- Serve as a member of the regional leadership team, driving regional engagement and performance: Develop strategic initiatives that impact school success based on regional need; drive regional initiatives in collaboration with the leadership team; identify and problem solve around challenges apparent in regional results; collaborate with Teaching & Learning, KIPP Through College (KTC), and Special Education to drive results, collaborate with other departments to ensure that schools can focus on student outcomes.
- Support and respond to crises: Serve as on-call support for questions and emergencies related to school management and respond to family grievances for schools managed.
- Manage and drive results through other teams (i.e. SpEd, KTC, etc.) as needed.
- Achievement Orientation: Has demonstrated results and experience leading a high-performing school (student achievement and leadership development); upholds a high bar for excellence.
- Mission Commitment: Believes in our mission of college for all; knows, models, and lives our Heartbeat.
- Bias to action/do whatever it takes mindset (highly responsive, takes responsibility for school performance, etc.)
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Strong judgment/decision making skills
- Experience coaching different types of leaders in a variety of contexts and a track record of developing leaders
Nice To Haves
- A record of exceptional student achievement and results at a high-performing charter network/charter management organization.
- A belief that all students deserve a world-class education which can be achieved through education reform
- An advanced degree in Literacy, or extensive study in the science of reading
Compensation & Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP NJ offers a full comprehensive benefits plan, including health care, retirement, an optional subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, a school laptop and transportation benefits for TEAMmates commuting into New Jersey from the New York City area.
KIPP New Jersey | KIPP Miami is an equal opportunity employer