Working Title: Fingerprint Technician or Trainee-Fingerprint Technician
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 05/05/2022
- Closing Date: 05/16/2022
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Public Safety Dept / Public Safety-AFSCME
- Division/Unit: CJIS Crim Justice Info Sys / Crim Hist Record Info COE 1
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift / 8am - 4:30pm
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Fingerprint TechnicianSalary Range: $21.28 - $29.01/hourly; $44,432 - $60,572/annually
- Trainee-Fingerprint TechnicianSalary Range: $18.09/hourly
- Classified Status: FP Tech: Classified: Trainee-FP Tech: Non-Status
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 207 - Technical/AFSCME
- Work Area: BCA/MNJIS/Biometrics
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
- The Trainee is not Connect 700 eligible
TWO POSITIONS WILL BE FILLED FROM THIS POSTING
This posting will result in hiring into one of the following job classifications. The classification level of the position will be based on the selected applicant's qualifications and responses to the interview questions.
- Trainee-Fingerprint Technician, salary $18.09 hourly
- Fingerprint Technician, salary range $21.28 - $29.01/hourly: $44,433 - $60,573/annually
This position is assigned responsibilities for the tasks related to the management of the 10-print repository of the Minnesota Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS). These responsibilities involve various complex technical functions related to the forensic analysis of fingerprint impressions through the electronic and manual processing of fingerprint submissions to maintain the integrity and accuracy of the fingerprint database for the State of Minnesota, and, indirectly, the Federal Bureau of Investigations. Fingerprint Technicians perform difficult, on-routine fingerprint image examination, interpretation, classification, analysis and identification and apply the laws, rules and standards governing this process. Fingerprint Technicians also capture fingerprint images for the public; perform comparisons, analysis and verifications of fingerprint images submitted to the BCA for background checks or Questioned Identities.
1. One year of experience performing fingerprint classification, including AFIS experience
2. Proficient English skills (speaking, writing and reading)
3. Proficiency with software such as Microsoft Office Word, Outlook, and Excel
4. Experience working with multiple databases (including Criminal History and AFIS)
5. Good customer Service skills (phone, in person and public presentations) and the ability to work with diverse groups of people and diverse working styles
1. Associates degree in related field (i.e., criminal justice, law enforcement/policing, sociology, forensics, etc.) and work related experience equivalent to 6 months (i.e., courts, law enforcement agencies, corrections, forensics, etc.)
2. Critical thinking and analytical skills
3. Interpreting laws, written policies and procedures
4. Proficiency with software such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook
5. Criminal Justice experience and/or knowledge of law enforcement terminology and technology
6. Experience working with databases such as Criminal History and/or AFIS
7. Customer Service skills and the ability to work with diverse groups of people and diverse working styles
8. Proficient English skills
1. CJIS Certified
2. FBI Fingerprint Comparison Certification
3. Demonstrated problem solving skills and ability to work independently
4. Criminal History experience
5. Expereience handling sensitive and confidential data
Requires occasionally moving and transporting such articles as file folders and small tools. May need to maintain a stationary position for long periods of time while carrying out job duties.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
It is the policy of the Department of Public Safety that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment, which includes the following components:
1) criminal history
2) reference check
4) drug screen
5) education verification
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Leslie Brzezinski at [email protected]
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities throughout the application and interview process.
For accommodations or questions about accessibility specifically relating to this job announcement, please email the Affirmative Action Division at [email protected] or call 651-201-7136.