This recruitment is open for two (2) weeks, thru July 28, 2022. Applications will be reviewed until a sufficient qualified candidate pool has been established.
$59,527 - $79,766 Annual
The City of Tempe offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Pay Increases occur in July
- 12 Paid Holidays, 1 Personal Day, 8 hours Winter Holiday Leave
- Vacation Accrual: starts at 9.33 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual: 8 hours/month
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Wellness Program Discount on health premiums
- Medical Reimbursement Program: $53/month
- Tuition Reimbursement: $6,000/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.17% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide: 457, 401K, and Employer contribution
- Position is eligible for 16 hours of additional Paid Leave
To view the employee benefit summary, please visit:
Employee Benefit Summary
Department / Division:
Municipal Utilities / Administration
8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday – Friday
The purpose of this position to perform a variety of highly responsible, confidential and complex administrative duties in providing staff assistance to department management.
- Assist in the preparation of comprehensive and timely budget documents; monitor budget expenditures and assist in the budget control; maintain petty cash fund and prepare monthly vouchers.
- Assist in writing a wide variety of correspondence and documents for internal and external use.
- Prepare agendas and assemble background materials; transcribe minutes of meetings.
- Respond to and resolve a variety of requests or complaints from City employees or the public requiring interpretation of policies and procedures; answer calls and assist customers.
- Participate in office administration work; maintain calendars of office activities, meetings and events; plan, schedule and coordinate special events among several City departments or external organizations; set meetings for supervisor; prepare minutes of meetings and transcribe as necessary; make travel arrangements.
- Maintain personnel and payroll records; process payroll and paperwork for personnel actions including new hires, promotions and terminations; coordinate recruitment process with human resources; monitor performance evaluation dates and provide appropriate forms to staff.
Requires three (3) years of administrative experience, preferably in a public agency.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Requires the equivalent to an associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, or a degree related to the core functions of this position. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Applicants considered for this job classification must pass the following:
- Criminal history background investigation
For a complete list of City of Tempe job descriptions go to:
Job Descriptions | City of Tempe, AZ
This position is FLSA Exempt which means employees are not eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position are represented by the Confidential Supervisory (CSU).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.