Diesel Technician - All Experience Levels
Position open to remote: No
Who We Are:
At U.S. Xpress, we’re proud to have one of the largest, newest and most technologically advanced fleets in the entire nation. But machines don’t make our company great. People do— —especially the highly trained problem—solvers who keep these sophisticated machines running at their peak. How we see it, every time you help a delivery arrive on time, you’ve enabled us to fulfill our word to a customer. That’s why we believe you deserve a highly competitive compensation package, including a technician sign—on bonus, boot allowance, and college tuition at no cost to you or your children. So if you’re driven to passionately pursue your goals, we’re eager to welcome you to our team. Because when we focus our varied talents on reshaping the future of transportation, that’s what we call the POWER OF U.S.
Why U.S. Xpress?
Right Role. Right Tools. Right People. We invest in our talent starting on day one. You will be provided with personal and professional development opportunities that complement your interests and encourage you to build a career you’re passionate about. Whether it is employee stock options, profit-sharing, 401K, professional development, or our competitive pay, we help prepare you for the future. Be part of an organization that values out-of-the-box thinking and rewards employees for going above and beyond. Curious about the other benefits of working with us? Check out other perks below!
- Sign On Bonus
- Full Ashford University Tuition for Employee and Dependents
- Sponsored ASE Certification
- Paid OEM Training
- Boot Allowance
- Vacation, Sick, & Personal time
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision
What You’ll Do:
Performs basic preventative maintenance and repairs on tractors and trailers.
- Perform basic and routine preventative maintenance on tractors and trailers as outlined in USX PM guidelines.
- Perform basic or minor repairs and inspections on brakes, tires, wiring etc.
- Check vehicle fluids (e.g. transmission, oil, windshield wiper, antifreeze, etc.).
- Change vehicle tires.
- Grease mechanical parts.
- Maintain a high productivity level and complete most jobs within or close to SRT times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What We’re Looking For:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Technical Diploma from an accredited Diesel Technology Program preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year of mechanical experience preferred.
- A Technical Diploma from an accredited Diesel Technology Program may substitute for 1 year of the required experience.
- Experience in the transportation industry preferred.
- Computer experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required; must be at least 18 years or older to work in USX Shop Environment.
- Ability to read and write.
- Must provide own tools that are adequate to perform job functions.
- D.O.T and Brake certification required to perform PM’s and brake work.
- OEM Online certifications preferred.
Physical Requirements: while performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; frequently stands, walks, uses hands to finger, handle or feel; and reaches with hands and arms.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time supporting full body weight
- Ability to walk 1000 feet minimum and change positions frequently
- Ability to frequently move shoulders with full range of motion in all six planes of movement
- Ability to reach heights over 72” frequently; ability to crouch to height of 18” frequently
- Ability to reach and stretch across the midline with full cervical range of motion and bilateral range of motion
- Ability to use hand tools constantly for extended periods of time
- Ability to stoop to 30” minimum and kneel to 18” minimum
- Ability to frequently climb 51’ with one 24” step and pull full body weight.
- Ability to frequently climb stairs 24” without a hand hold rail.
- Ability to pull self up ladder with 4x17”steps with upper body pull.
- Ability to constantly go in/out of truck on 51” and one 24” step pulling full body weight.
- Ability to frequently go up and down ramp.
- Ability to occasionally push 250 lbs, pull 125 lbs, frequently push/pull 100/50 lbs and constantly push/pull 50/25 lbs.
- Ability to occasionally carry, lift overhead, high, low and medium lift 51/75 lbs, frequently 50/21 lbs and constantly 20/1 lbs.
- Must be able to perform all physical requirements with reasonable accommodation.
Work Environment: this job operates in a well-lit and well-ventilated repair shop environment.
Work Environment / Physical Requirements—Repair Shop Settings
The physical requirements for this position match the needs of a well—lit and well—ventilated repair shop environment. Candidates for this role should be able to stand or walk for long periods of time, extensively work with their hands, and communicate verbally with their teammates. This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected for this position. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities. Employees performing this job may be asked to perform other duties as required and the responsibilities of the position may change. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
U.S. Xpress is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workforce.