$3,000.00 SIGN-ON BONUS
Deputy Sheriffs of the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office are responsible for enforcing the statutes of North Carolina, and all local and federal laws, as well as following the rules and regulations set forth by the Sheriff of Mecklenburg County. Selected candidates are required to pass a reading comprehension test, physical examination, psychological evaluation and an in-depth background investigation. Successful candidates for Deputy Sheriff positions must be of good moral character and must not have a criminal history that would prevent them from being able to obtain and maintain a dual role as a sworn Law Enforcement Officer and certified Detention Officer from the North Carolina Sheriff’s Education and Training Standards Commission. Deputy Sheriff candidates must also adhere to the standards set by Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office. Employment is contingent on the successful completion of the mandated 6-week training to include classroom instructions and daily physical activities (running, push-ups, sit-ups, heavy lifting, etc.…).
Entry level Deputy Sheriffs are primarily assigned to the Arrest Processing Center or the Courts Division, but MCSO management reserves the right to assign personnel anywhere in the organization based on legitimate business needs.
Work Schedule and Hours:
Deputy Sheriffs depending on assignment will work a 12.33 hour schedule which translates to seven 12.33 hour shifts in a (14) day pay period totaling approximately 86.33 hours. Deputy Sheriffs assigned to permanent night shift will have an opportunity to work towards seniority which allows them to be assigned to a permanent day shift position (6:40 AM – 7:00 PM). Night shift personnel (6:40 PM – 7:00 AM) are paid a shift premium that equates to an additional $2.00 per hour for their regularly scheduled shift assignment.
- North Carolina BLET certification required prior to applying for Deputy Sheriff position.
- Candidate must have a High School Diploma, or G.E.D. equivalence.
- Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving history.
- Candidate must be able to pass a drug screening and complete medical examination by a licensed physician, including psychological testing and evaluation.
- Candidate must be 21 years of age prior to hire date.
- Candidate must be a U.S. citizen or Naturalization Certification, if applicable.
- Candidate must be able to pass our agency physical fitness and reading comprehension test.
- Candidate must have a clean criminal record to include no felony convictions.
- Candidate must not have had a DWI conviction within the past five years and no more than two in a lifetime.
- Candidate must have Honorable Military Discharge, if applicable.
- Candidate must reside within 50 miles radius of the Sheriff’s Office Detention Center – Central.
- Candidate must pass the firearm qualification with a score of 80% or better.
Starting Salary: $53,053.00
MCSO offers a bilingual incentive pay for those who demonstrate proficiency speaking, reading, and writing in a foreign language other than English.
Mecklenburg County requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new Mecklenburg County employee.