This position is with Optimal Energy (optenergy.com), a recent NV5 acquisition, an industry leader in energy efficiency and demand-side management analysis, policy, and program support; our staff are experts in policy planning, program design and implementation, evaluation, and technical research and analysis. Our clients include utilities, efficiency program administrators, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. We support our clients in developing integrated clean energy resources that are low-cost, least-risk, and offer the most environmentally responsible ways to meet local, regional, and national energy and climate needs.
We are actively involved in many of the leading efficiency program portfolios in the U.S. We build long-term relationships with our clients, and have supported many for over a decade, providing innovative and evolving services as their clean energy needs change. Our company and our staff are led by our values: collaboration, transparency, and a team approach. We support innovation, employee input and leadership, and a healthy work/life balance.
We are looking for a Consultant or Senior Consultant to assist with Optimal’s existing projects as well as to develop relationships in the industry to support business development efforts. Consultants and Senior Consultants perform research and analysis in support of projects, represent Optimal Energy and Optimal’s work to clients, whether independently or as part of larger project teams, and are responsible for effective and timely production of final project deliverables. Senior Consultants will also contribute to client management; project management, including managing schedules and budgets; timely production of final project deliverables; and potentially manage other Optimal Energy staff.
- Advise clients on effective planning and implementation of energy efficiency and demand side management programs and on policies that promote lowest-cost, environmentally responsible, and sustainable energy resources;
- Represent Optimal Energy and Optimal’s work product to clients and stakeholders;
- Advise on design and evaluation of clean energy, demand-side management, and other advanced energy programs, strategies, administrative models, resources, and policies;
- Synthesize analysis of energy programs and policies, for example, impact and economic and other cost-benefit analysis;
- Manage tasks, projects, and teams (other staff and subcontractors) to produce deliverables on time and on budget;
- Market Optimal Energy’s services through industry outreach as well as development of project proposals;
- Identify and recruit prospective clients and maintain ongoing client interaction;
- Participate in staff-wide company operations and development projects.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience working in the clean energy industry
- Knowledge of energy efficiency technologies, practices, policies, and programs
- Experience managing tasks, projects and/or teams
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative environment
- An interest in business and client development and a track record of independent engagement in the energy efficiency and energy industry – presentations, conference attendance, publication, etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that support Optimal’s focus on producing clear, concise, and understandable deliverables
- Facility with analysis and an analytical mindset that generates trustworthy, accurate results
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple competing priorities and deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite; advanced Excel skills desirable
- Experience with any or several of the following a plus: electrification, renewable energy, active demand management, battery storage, integrated resource planning, other analytical software and/or programing languages such R and VBA
What We Offer
- A congenial, relaxed work environment
- Competitive salary; generous retirement plan & paid time off; tuition reimbursement; employer-subsidized health insurance; dental insurance, disability, and life insurance
- Excellent opportunity for professional development and advancement
Optimal has offices in Providence, RI and Hinesburg, VT, though we are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This position is for full-time remote work with options for working out of Optimal’s physical locations in the future if the candidate desires. Applicants who live in New Jersey are particularly encouraged to apply.