Date: Sep 7, 2022
Location: Holly Hill, Florida, US, 32117
Title: Apprentice (Daytona)
Company: Peoples Gas System
State and City: Florida - Holly Hill
Shift: 8 Hr. X 5 Days
Power up a career with us. Our People are our greatest investments. TECO Peoples Gas offers competitive pay, a comprehensive benefits package and opportunities for growth and development in a friendly and professional work environment.
If you are interested in a career and not just a position, TECO Peoples Gas is the place to be!
TECO Peoples Gas is the largest natural gas distributor in Florida serving more than 400,000 customers across the state. Just as it was 125 years ago when we started as Tampa Gas Company, natural gas is today’s No. 1 choice for reliable energy. Join our team of energy experts as we build on that legacy through innovation and cost-effective sustainable energy solutions all while keeping top-notch customer service at the center of all we do.
TECO Peoples Gas is a subsidiary of Emera Inc., a family of energy companies which also includes Tampa Electric and New Mexico Gas Company. Emera provides energy to residential and commercial customers in the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean, with career opportunities available in all of these locations.
Must be physically capable of indoor/outdoor manual labor
Successful candidate must reside within 25 miles of the Daytona Division office location to ensure business continuity and emergency response time
Assist in the lay-out, fabrication and installation of gas distribution systems, which includes new construction and/or maintenance on various types of commercial, residential and industrial equipment. An Apprentice shall work in compliance with all Company policies, procedures, rules, regulations, safety standards and communicate in an effective, professional and courteous manner with all Company personnel, customers, contractors, developers, police/fire officials, other utility representatives, and members of the general public.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Individuals in this classification have minimal experience in the natural gas industry and will attend and successfully complete formal/informal training to be qualified to efficiently and effectively perform the duties and responsibilities listed below:
- Turn on and turn off gas services, appliances, and equipment.
- Read meters and meter instruments.
- Perform the duties of a line locator.
- Assist and/or perform the installation, removal, change-out or upgrade of service regulators and meter sets.
- Assist and/or perform the start-up of conversion burners.
- May assist and perform the installation and maintenance of underground/above ground distribution/transmission mains, services, equipment and meter activity, including minor repairs and adjustments.
- Assist and/or perform plastic pipe fusion, tapping, and stopping operations.
- Assist and/or perform in operating hydraulic tools, backhoe and other machines used in natural gas operations.
- Assist and/or perform the investigations of inside and outside natural gas leaks.
- Work with a hand-held radio device with internet capability to open and close assigned service orders.
- Use of a lap-top computer for mapping, work orders, training and Employee Self Service for working time, benefits and job listings.
- Ability to work overtime as needed including weekends and holidays in response to gas emergencies.
- Ability to work Call Out and Stand-by schedule on a rotating basis.
- Will perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must be able to detect normal concentrations of natural gas odorant.
- Must have vision acceptable under DOT guidelines 49 CFR 391.41(b)(10).
- Must have hearing acceptable under DOT guidelines 49 CFR 391.41(b)(11).
- Must be able to independently ingress/egress and operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure you can commit to all steps before applying.
The BSTB test, interview and mandatory paid training will be held on the following tentative dates:
- BSTB test – Facilitated on-site between the hours of 8:00AM - 5:00PM
- Interview – Will be done through Microsoft Teams and requires a computer or smart phone (Between the hours of 8:00AM - 5:00PM Monday-Friday)
- New hire start training date – October 10, 2022
- Mandatory Paid Training – all weekdays for 4 weeks, starting October 10, 2022
EDUCATION AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Valid High School Diploma or Valid G.E.D. is required
- Valid driver’s license with a safe driving record is required
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Must understand basic map reading; know how to operate power tools and communication devices; ability to follow complex oral and written instructions. Using a calculator- must be able to perform basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide, decimals, and fractions).
One (1) to two (2) years natural gas or utility work experience or related work experience (such as propane, pipe fitting, etc.) a plus.
Two (2) or more years of direct work experience performing the duties and responsibilities of a gas locator.
- Must be able to pass a pulmonary function test for use of respiratory equipment.
- Must be able to ascend/descend ladders, stairs and the like using feet, legs, hands, and arms.
- Must be able to maintain balance when walking, standing, or crouching, on/in narrow or slippery surfaces and/or spaces.
- Must be able to independently operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner.
- Must be able to independently enter/exit a motor vehicle as required during an eight-hour shift.
- Must be able to bend and/or stoop requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- Must be able to kneel and or crouch by bending legs at knees to come to rest at knees and bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.
- Must be able to walk, stand or sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to grasp/handle small hand tools and other objects by applying pressure with fingers and palms.
- Must be able to work primarily with fingers (pinching, picking, etc.) rather than using the whole hand or arm.
- Must be able to pull, push, lift and carry objects weighing up to 100 lbs
- Must have vision correctable to 20/40.
- Must not have an average hearing loss greater than 40 decibels in the better ear at frequencies of 500, 1000, and 2000 with or without a hearing aid.
- Must be able to smell gas odorant in normal concentrations.
- Must be able to perform repetitive motions by extending arms and hands in any direction with substantial movement of wrists, hands and fingers.
- Must be able to physically express ideas in writing.
- Must be able to enter letters and numbers on a keyboard.
- Must be able to rotate and revolve body (twist) as to face in another direction.
- Must be able to work outside for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to perform basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide, decimals, fractions, basic algebra, and geometry).
TECO offers a competitive Benefits package!!
Competitive Salary *401k Savings plan w/ company matching * Pension plan * Paid time off* Paid Holiday time * Medical, Prescription Drug, & Dental Coverage *Tuition Assistance Program * Employee Assistance Program * Wellness Programs * On-site Fitness Centers * Bonus Plan and more!
STORM DUTY REQUIREMENTS....Please make sure to read below!!! Responding to storms will be considered a condition of employment.
TECO Energy and its companies serve a role in providing critical services to our community during an emergency. Team members are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters to maintain service to our TECO Energy customers. Team members are required to work in their normal job duties or other assigned activities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with the company's rules and procedures.
TECO Energy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law, except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement and the individual is unable to perform the essential functions of the position with reasonable accommodations.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities for all individuals, employment decisions at TECO Energy will be based on skills, knowledge, qualifications and abilities.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Statement
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
It is the policy of TECO Energy to provide reasonable accommodation for all qualified disabled individuals who are employees and applicants for employment, unless it would cause undue hardship. The corporation will adhere to applicable federal and state laws, regulations and guidelines, including, but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1970s.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation in the application process five business days prior to the time accommodation is needed.
Pre-employment physical exams may be required for positions with bona fide job-related physical requirements regardless of disability.
Nearest Major Market: Daytona Beach
Job Segment: Sustainability, Fabrication, Hydraulics, Apprentice, Energy, Manufacturing, Engineering, Entry Level