Apheresis Technician- (3206291)
Ask us about our $3,000 Sign on Bonus!! (Not applicable to internal candidates).
Under the general supervision of the Nurse Manager, Blood Donor Center, the Apheresis Technician I performs donor registration, screening, whole blood collection, automated platelet and red blood cell apheresis collections and preparation of components from collected whole blood. Provides excellent customer service. Balances production, donor care and quality requirements to meet annual blood collection goals. The Apheresis Technician I complies with all applicable state and federal regulations, as well as, hospital policies and procedures to ensure the safety of the donor and quality of the blood components.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs any or all facets of the Donor Center donor processes, as needed and as training progresses:
- Provides appropriate donor greeting, directs donor to read educational materials and complete donor card.
- Performs donor interview, obtaining accurate and complete medical history information.
- Determines donor suitability utilizing donor guideline manual and department reference materials.
- Performs whole blood phlebotomy and automated apheresis donations.
- Labels sample tubes and collection packs. Completes all records. Performs post-collection handling of products per FDA guidelines.
- Prepares components in component prep lab through centrifugation, separation, mixing, labeling, and with accurate verification of records and data entry into computer system.
- Using Current Good Manufacturing Practices, records the results of all procedures performed.
- Performs appropriate Quality Control and Preventive Maintenance procedures.
- Assists other donor center staff in the management of reactions and medical emergencies.
- Maintains equipment and stocks supplies both in-house and on the buses.
- Maintains complete confidentiality of donor information and records, as outlined by the MGH Privacy/Confidentiality/HIPPA policies.
- Knows and adheres to safety/infection control techniques.
- Provides support and education to the donors and the public.
- Exhibits professionalism in attire and grooming and maintains prompt and regular attendance.
- Ability to flourish in a demanding technically-oriented and regimented environment.
- Ability to multi task and prioritize.
- Ability to work/participate in a team environment.
- Have or must develop exceptional phlebotomy skills.
- Assess and document vital signs and hemoglobin levels.
- Intermediate level of skill in computer use; can perform accurate data entry, possess good keyboarding skills and email
- Accuracy in spelling and punctuation imperative for donor data entry into computer.
- Ability to demonstrate respect and professionalism in all interactions.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Read, write and comprehend English fluently to follow procedures, and to communicate with donors, hospital and laboratory staff.
- Demonstrate dependability and consistency.
- Understand basic anatomy and physiology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard safety and infection control procedures.
- Demonstrated Current Good Manufacturing Practices, SOP’s and policies.
- Medical Assistant certificate or phlebotomy training desired.
- National Phlebotomy Certification desired
- CPR certificate desired.
- Must have a high school degree or a GED
Primary Location MA-Boston-MGH Main Campus Work Locations MGH Main Campus 55 Fruit Street Boston 02114 Job Phlebotomist Organization Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH) Schedule Full-time Standard Hours 40 Shift Day Job Employee Status Regular Recruiting Department MGH Pathology/Clinical Labs Job Posting Jul 14, 2022