The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
SummaryComplete on-site driver training courses to acquire a CDL license. Learn to drive airport shuttle buses to safely transporting the traveling public and baggage between the airport terminal and parking facilities. Deal courteously with the public and represent the Airport in a positive and professional manner.
Major Duties and Responsibilities1. Must complete on-site driver training courses to acquire a CDL learner permit and license.
2. Becomes familiar bus models and can effectively complete pre/post trip vehicle inspections.
3. Only drive with CDL Trainer and Driver Mentor during training process while learning to recognize safety hazards and use appropriate precautions.
4. Understands required equipment/info in vehicle such as fire extinguisher safety triangles, and Back-up Camera; ability to correctly use a 2-way radio and use proper radio etiquette
5. Obey all traffic laws and speed limits on airport campus
6. Learn to drive passengers and their baggage between the airport terminal and parking products; responds promptly to customer needs.
7. Able to provide information about the airport to the public and assist travelers.
8. Perform light cleaning inside bus (i.e. clean windows, empty trash, sweep).
9. Assist passengers in boarding or exiting the vehicle as necessary, including operation of wheelchair lifts and restraints; under some circumstances, assist passengers with baggage.
10. Provide assistance to ADA Passengers
11. Ability to work well with others and adapt to changes in the work environment; able to deal with schedule changes, delays, or unexpected events.
12. Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Deal courteously with the public and represent the airport in a positive, professional manner.
- Read, comprehend and speak English clearly enough to be understood over the radio and by passengers.
- Learn to drive Shuttle Bus on all assigned routes
- Safely drive any of the shuttle bus models.
- Follow oral or written and verbal instructions.
- Able to work all shifts
- Ability to acquire DOT Card
Prior Customer Service training
High school diploma/GED preferred
Driving experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
To perform this job successfully the ideal candidate must be able to perform all of the Job responsibilities at a satisfactory level
Must have a Valid NC Driver’s License with less than 6 points
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.